Wild Fish Priorities

Home Forums Due October 22nd due 11:59pm Wild Fish Priorities

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #196212
    khteets
    Participant

In the book Four Fish, Paul Greenberg proposed four main ideas of how the achieve clearly thought through goals. These four main ideas are; 1) A profound reduction in fishing effort, 2) The conversion of significant portions of ocean ecosystems to no-catch areas, 3) The global protection of unmanageable species, and lastly 4) The protection of the bottom of the food chain.
    If I had to propose another or fifth priority, it would be along the lines of trying to help the already damaged areas heal or grow by cutting them off to the majority of fishing. This would include keeping large fishing boats and large charter fishing boats out and away from the areas to give it time to heal and recover. The environment might not go back to the way it was, but we can’t help since the damage has already been done, but we can help it recover by taking the things damaging it out. Though the environment might not come back the way it was, we can hope it’ll recover in a better way or something similar to how a forest recovers from a bad fire. Do this will also help give the fish their environment back and maybe even their breeding grounds, this will also give them time to breed and recover themselves since the boats will be kept out of these areas.

#196243
    kmingo2
    Participant

I think that this 5th idea falls along the ideas of creating marine protected areas, but I do think it is a good idea.

#196250
    jltusten
    Participant

I agree that this should be a priority, but it was also covered by Greenberg

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World