The Pollock and Cod Fisheries

Home Forums Due October 29 The Pollock and Cod Fisheries

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    peepple
    Participant

In comparison, both the northern Atlantic cod and the pollock fisheries are or at some point were very crucial economic points for the fishery economics of the world. The cod fishery provided an almost endless bounty off the Grand Banks in Newfoundland, ensuring its high economic growth with an otherwise plain meat. The pollock fishery has been exploited by companies the world over, fished in a similar fashion in that it too seems endless, bringing vast wealth to those who fished it. However, this is were the similarities end, as the cod fisheries, once bountiful source of income, inevitably crashed in the early 1990s due to overfishing of the stocks. It is also incredibly old, spanning hundreds if not thousands of years of fishing that now is a deep-rooted tradition. The pollock fishery, on the other hand, is going through a series of decline and growth not unlike the final years of the cod fisheries, however it is unclear if and when the stocks will be completely destroyed, and so its difficult to know whether we are overfishing it. It is also relatively young, dating back about forty to fifty years. Its use is also different, the pollock is a prime fish consumed in Asia in sushi recipes, and is the main ingredient in fish sticks in your local Wal-Mart and Fred Meyers, and can be grounded into meal for animal consumption.

smoswald2
    Participant

It’s interesting how you compared the decline and growth patterns the pollock fishery is experiencing now to the final years where cod was profitable. Maybe we should take a step back and do more research so the past’s mistakes aren’t made again.

Kortney Birch
    Participant

It’s very true that pollock is very popular in all kinds of food around the world. I was intrigued to learn that pollock makes up imitation crab, which is in all kinds of seafood. Because pollock is so widely used, it makes sense that one day their population sizes could be depleted because of humans.

imatsui
    Participant

I am from Japan and I eat those imitation crab thing all the time but I actually didn’t know that they are made from Pollock! They actually taste good for the price.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World