Sustainability

Home Forums Due September 17 by 11:59 pm Sustainability

• #195856
    aknobloch

Sustainability:

I have always looked at sustainability through conservation; ensuring that natural resources are available for the next generation. While this does fit somewhat into Solow’s definition, he defined it more through investment and in a generalized form. Which makes sense as he is an economist. The concept of substitutability had never occurred to me and thinking of it in that capacity is intriguing. When looking at the issue in this broader sense i can see how one ties in with the other. I am not sure, however, if I completely agree with that concept. If society uses up all of a natural resource is there really an equal substitute available? Sure, we may come up with another option for future generations through innovation or technology but what about adverse effects to the environment. How can one truly measure the value of a natural resource? In that regard, what does it actually mean to be well off? This would lead directly into the debate of aquaculture and wild fish. Through Solow’s definition, aquaculture would offer a sustainability to wild fish, as we are providing future generations with a substitute to wild fish. We are investing in a secondary resource that would provide them with a source of nutrition along with an economic market. However, this only holds true if you fully believe in his definition. I don’t believe it is that simple; wild fish are more than a dinner plate option, they play an intricate part in the natural environment. Healthy fish stocks provide healthy rivers which provide healthy wildlife and forests. To think that this can be adequately substituted would be irresponsible.

#195867
    faelmore

I would argue that the value of a natural resource comes from its frequency and ability to replace itself. The substitute is not the real resource, so it doesn’t have the same value. It can be replaced easier and should hold lesser values.

#195870
    bmmatala

I do not think of the word sustainability in the same way as this, I look more into it as the environment being able to replace what is being taken out of it and it being at a healthy compact not in a way that we need to leave the earth in a healthy way for next generations.