Sustainability

Home Forums Due September 17 by 11:59 pm Sustainability

• #195865
    faelmore

Sustainability to me is the ability for our natural and wild environment to replace its populations of all living and non-living things at at least the same rate as they are being removed. I believe it fits loosely into Solow’s definition in the sense that the replacement is for the betterment of the future of our Earth. Sustainability isn’t for our own generation’s survival, but rather for the survival of our future generations and their enjoyment of the diversity and resources of our planet. In our current state, aquaculture is necessary for our fisheries to be used sustainably. Our natural fisheries can’t keep up with our needs. On the other hand, sustainability shouldn’t depend on the availability of substitutes. We can use a resource sustainably without a substitute. To use something in a way where it is not depleted does not require a substitute. Aquaculture helps keep wild populations afloat in terms of our own usage, but aquaculture alone cannot sustain wild fisheries. Wild fisheries need other practices to keep a sustainable population. Just keeping domesticated fish, but killing wild fish off entirely is not sustaining their population. It is the wild aspect of that resource that also needs to be saved in order to be sustainable. Our wild fisheries must be sustained naturally, not filled with replacements.Pouring domestic salmon into a stream is not sustaining natural populations, just replacing what should be there.

#195882
    hcbass

I like the idea of sustainability being for future generations rather than ourselves. A lot of people don’t see the impact we are having because it is not going to affect us as much as it will the future generations.

#195894
    aknobloch

I actually think Solow got the definition backwards. Present populations should be using substitutes to ensure the natural resource is available to future generations. Rather than using up all of the natural resource and leaving the future with substitutes.

#195909
    ramaldonado

I definitely like the point that you make that pouring domestic salmon into a wild stream should not be anyone’s definition of sustainability.I also agree with your definition of sustainability and that there should be a balance in usage of wildlife and resources and the rate in which they replenish themselves.