suitable candidates

Home Forums Due September 24 by 11:59pm suitable candidates

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    imatsui
    Participant

Galton’s criteria for suitable animals for domestication are 1) hardy, 2) endowed with an inborn linking for man, 3) comfort living,4) able to breed freely, and 5) needful of only a ,minimal amount of tending (80). And sea bass doesn’t fit well into any of those criteria.
    1) Survival rate of sea bass larva is very low. About 99% of population die before reaching adult. So it is hard to say that they are hardy. Compared to sea bass, salmon larval survive better.
    2) Greenberg doesn’t think we have any interaction with marine fishes. There is no record that ancient human had marine fish as pet and from that perspective, we don’t have much connection with them. But marine fish has been big part of human diet in many different places. I feel like that can be some kind of linking to man. For both sea bass and salmon, there are some history between human and those fishes. Because of its rareness, sea bass was treated as valuable fish. Salmon has supported humans life for long, especially in native.
    3) Greenberg disagree that sea bass can be comfort loving. They hate containment and they won’t eat or shred themselves to death against the netting. From what I have read about salmon, salmon needs space to keep swimming but unlike sea bass, they won’t kill themselves for that.
    4) reproductive system of sea bass is not much known and it seems not easy to breed them in captive environment but I think salmon is easier to do that since they are well studied.
    5) since salmon has big egg that can provide enough nutrient for larvae but since sea bass has high fecundity with very small eggs, their larvae are very fragile and defenseless. It is challenging for sea bass larvae to survive.
    From those things, I don’t think sea bass can pass the test for being good candidate for aquaculture, but I think salmon does.

kmwong
    Participant

I think that salmon would be the best candidate out of the 2 but would still not meet Galton’s criteria for domestication. So in a way I both agree and disagree. Sea Bass are super finicky and absolutely hate captivity. On the other hand you have salmon which are very hardy fish but have a hard time breeding freely in captivity. I feel we can safely assume that neither like humans and do not thrive in captivity.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World