Shifting baseline

Home Forums Due October 8 by 11:59pm Shifting baseline

• #196082
    jlrogers4

Daniel Pauly’s shifting baseline syndrome is something I have experienced myself, growing up in Prince Williams sound since I was 8 years old I have created my own baseline of what a normal-sized catch is and a normal abondance of fish and how many we will catch. A baseline is an observation of the present and what is average during that time. I talk to old fishermen and they tell me of how Halibut used to be bigger and closer to Whitter. I think it played a major role in the fall of Northern Cod because of a steady decline before the crash. Locals did not realize the major decline because of the slow decrease. We can avoid falling into this by creating a recording system that measures and counts fish. In Prince William sound we are greeted by Fish and Game personnel that will ask for measurements and samples. This is a good example of a baseline that is consistent and can avoid shifting baselines having an effect on populations

#196110
    Ron Sheldon

Very good personal example of shifting baselines. I really like how you incorporated your own observations and how they have shifted in your post. Often times it is very difficult to self evaluate our own perceptions in order to see the larger picture.

#196133
    khteets

I like how to give an example of an experience that you’ve had before. It’s also a nice touch that you gave a few other stories from the old fisherman and that you were able to notice a few changes yourself.