Sea Bass vs. Salmon

Home Forums Due September 24 by 11:59pm Sea Bass vs. Salmon

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jlrogers4
    Participant

The European sea bass was one of the first farmed fish in Europe. Greenburg introduces us to the European Sea Bass and compares its traits to livestock that we have tamed and framed over the last thousands of years. European sea bass did not meet any of the criteria for becoming a well suited farmed fish. The European sea bass is not hardy and has fragile eggs that make it difficult to cultivate, especially because we don’t fully understand their breeding patterns. The European sea bass also does not thrive in containment and are vulnerable to disease because they are not born with a yolk sac to provide important nutrients. I believe that the European sea bass is not suitable for farming because of the difficulty to successfully farm the sea bass. Atlantic salmon require lots of feed but are easier to cultivate because of the large fatty eggs that require less effort to cultivate and regulate. Salmon are also born with a yolk sac that provides nutrients for a few weeks improving their mortality rate compared to European sea bass. I believe both of the fish have their own pros and cons but believe it is only efficient if we can create a self supplying food supply to feed the huge demand that fish farms require. I do believe that the salmon is the better candidate compared to the European sea bass because of its better morally rate and nutritional benefits.

mhhigdon
    Participant

I agree with you that both fish have their pros and cons, and that we need to create a self supplying food supply for the demand that fish farms require.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World