#lookatworldfuture

Home Forums Due Nov 12 by 11:59pm #lookatworldfuture

• #196476
    imatsui

I used the hashtag “look at world future’ because I felt like that is what we are trying to do and have to do right now. We have looked at different fisheries in different places. There are different histories, demand, management strategy, failure, and current condition for the fish that are related to the specific area. Single answer cannot solve all problems and things worked at one place not always work for different places. But I think the reason we looked at so many different examples from different places is to increase the knowledge and to use those knowledge for future. We cannot predict and prevent tragedy for 100% but what we can do is to pay close attention to what is happening not only your own country but in the world and try to understand where we are going, how that affect to people, fish, ecosystem and earth.
    Our book introduced different pollock stock condition in different places. Pollock is decreasing as a result of overfishing in the North Pacific, but pollock in Bering Sea is a poster child of marine fisheries management. Things are not always black or white and it is so hard to tell if the stock is collapsing or thriving. Problems are different and right decision need to be made for different places but I felt it is needed to take a look at bigger picture and not only focus on one problem that is in front of you. Yes, fishing down the food chain is problem but as book mentioned, but there is fishery that is fishing lower on food chain, and if they overfish, that will cause big consequences in ecosystem too. I don’t know exact solution for those problems but at least, we can start from educating people and be aware of those problems.

#196486
    armathews3

I love that the newest teaching regiments for fisheries and natural management has really started to become cross disciplinary, and allowed for our managers to make wide and detailed protocols for each varying area. Making for a greater ecosystem effort.

#196507
    jltusten

I think this is a great hashtag. I think the future is one of the most important things we have to look at in managing a fishery, or an ecosystem.