Habitat Restoration!

Home Forums Due October 22nd due 11:59pm Habitat Restoration!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hmbaird
    Participant

I loved Paul Greenberg’s ability to clearly go into the “so why do we care/what do we do” for fish populations, such as less fishing efforts and protecting specific species. I would really focus on the habitat restoration efforts. I agree that we have to do the things Greenberg says, but I would focus more on restoration of potential and historical habitats of anadromous or catadromous species. Though freshwater species and species that depend on estuaries are not all of the species we want to fish, the inland and human-dominated habitats around rivers, lakes, and estuaries provide a lot of opportunities for small communities and localized efforts to actually make a difference. Though this is more of a bottom-up solution, it’s essential for species such as salmon in Washington state and many species across the East Coast.

hmbaird
    Participant

On top of this, I am also super in to learning more about genetically modified salmon/fish as a potential option to reduce pressures on fisheries. If I was Greenberg, however, I probably would have just added MORE RESEARCH as one of the other priorities, because the more we know about fisheries, the better we are able to manage them.

hcbass
    Participant

I completely agree with habitat restoration especially with salmon and the introduction of dams in north America. The loss of habitat to dams for salmon has caused the destruction of a lot of spawning grounds. If we were able to take some of these down or provide salmon with a was around I believe that we would see an increase in the population and diversity of genetics.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World