Global Fish Stock Health

Home Forums Due August 28th by 11:59pm Global Fish Stock Health

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ramaldonado
    Participant

In a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the overall global fish stock health at a 6, but I would say that it hovers and fluctuates between 5 and 7 as well. Because I have never really done any research on the subject itself, my opinion comes from the occasional things I hear from the news, the things I hear from others, and the places I have been. The news most often tells me about places around the world that are over-fishing populations of certain fish. In Alaska, I most often hear about the fluctuation of salmon populations in regards to how much a single person can obtain of them. David Attenborough and the Blue Planet teams at BBC tell me mostly about how species are dying and how humans are the largest contributors of that. However, whenever I hear about low global fish stock health, I always generally hear about conservation efforts around the world to aid global fish stock health. Just this past Spring, I was in Italy and was able to partake in a Slow Fish Movement Festival and get a first-hand look at how the country of Italy is promoting Local Sustainable fishing. Overall, without any research on the topic, I receive information that says that the overall global fish stock health is in danger, but I also receive an equal amount of information about the things that are being done to help global fish stock health, and that is why I would rate the overall fish stock health at a fluctuating 6 out of 10.

Kortney Birch
    Participant

I definitely agree that this number fluctuates within the range of 5-7, but I’m not too sure of it reaching 10. Since there are still fish out there, I believe fish rates aren’t in complete peril…yet. I too hear updates from news sources about over-fishing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World