#fishmoderation

Home Forums Due Nov 12 by 11:59pm #fishmoderation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    peepple
    Participant

My # is #fishmoderation, because most of what we are doing to fisheries is fishing to near or completely overexploitation. according to the book Billion Dollar Fish, the world exceeded 100 million tons of harvested fish in 1993 for the first time. Today its around 90 million, still too high for many fisheries to sustain themselves. We need to be able to change this number, so that the fish stocks an flourish again. I’m not saying to stop completely, just bring the harvest down a little bit.

aknobloch
    Participant

i agree with fishing with moderation. However, with the human population growing exponentially, fishing pressure has the potential to increase even more as we try to feed the growing number. Perhaps this is where farmed fish could be beneficial. I don’t agree with genetically modified fish, but thats not to say properly regulated farmed fish couldn’t play an increased role in the seafood industry.

imatsui
    Participant

I agree that farmed fish could be beneficial as human population grow further and decrease over fishing pressure but as we have discussed, there are also problems and concerns for farmed fish. Evaluating consequences of farmed fish before it cause any kind of issue for ecosystem or human body is difficult but very important. Advanced research for this area might reduce people’s concerns against farmed fish.

akjaster
    Participant

I agree with this one as well in order to make sure there is enough for the next generation we must manage our natural resources wisley.

akjaster
    Participant

I agree with this one as well in order to make sure there is enough for the next generation we must manage our natural resources wisley

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World