#dynamicresource

Home Forums Due Nov 12 by 11:59pm #dynamicresource

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    hmhellen
    Participant

I would use the hashtag #dynamicresource. Many people involved in the pollock industry were more interested in turning a profit than maintaining healthy stocks. I think understanding that our fisheries are not unlimited and need proper management to thrive is important. Having the perception that a resource is unlimited can lead to unfortunate overexploitation of that resource. This also involves the concept of shifting baselines. We need to manage our fisheries by giving proper recognition to how populations have changed in recent years and especially to how our ecosystem has and is changing. Managing on a smaller scale and understanding how management needs to change depending on the species and habitat might help maintain healthy populations for years to come.

smoswald2
    Participant

This is a great hashtag. Fish stocks can’t be managed over decades at just one level because there are so many variables that control the health and size of fish populations. I agree that realizing different management should be used for different species would make a big difference in management success.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World