Domesticating Fish

Home Forums Due September 24 by 11:59pm Domesticating Fish

• #196017
    svsanchezbutler

Going into the second fish of our four fish book, Greenberg starts to inform us about Sea Bass and their domestication. Greenberg introduces us to Galton’s criteria for the domestication of a species, his criteria is made up of five things, I’m just going to go through a few of them considering we all know what they are:
    The first thing that Galton states is that the animal must have some hardiness, being able to tough it out is an important thing in domesticating animals. Comparing this criteria to Atlantic Salmon is that they are very hardy and their eggs are an example of this, they provide youngins with the nutrients they need to survive in their egg sacks, while Sea Bass struggle greatly when it comes to their eggs actually being viable.
    The second thing Galton goes over is the species admiration of man, meaning interactions with humans. This is a hard thing to measure when it comes to fish, considering their yanno.. fish..
    The end question is, do i think these species meet the criteria that Galton presents? The answer in my mind would be no, Sea Bass have proven to be finicky and they just don’t seem right to be domesticated, they seem to pose more issues than otherwise.

#196027
    kmwong

I completely agree that sea bass out of the two is the most finicky. They do not thrive in captivity and need a lot of maintenance.

#196029
    jltusten

I completely agree. According to Galton’s criteria the European Sea bass is probably one of the worst fish to try to domesticate.

#196144
    hmbaird

I agree also! Especially that big eggs help the offspring a ton. It’s something that most people wouldn’t think of, but is incredibly helpful for survival.