Alaska Pollock Fishery

Home Forums Due October 29 Alaska Pollock Fishery

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ramaldonado
    Participant

One of the similarities between the Atlantic Cod and Alaska Pollock that Bailey discusses is the fluctuation in the population trends. Atlantic Cod went through fluctuations of increasing and decreasing trends before finally collapsing and it appears that Alaskan Pollock is following a similar trend. Another similarity about the two fisheries is that there seems to be a heavy involvement of politics, government presence, and science in the management of the fisheries.
    One of the differences that Bailey discusses between the Alaska Pollock fishery and the Northern Cod fishery is that the Northern Cod is “hundreds if not thousands, of years old” whereas the Alaska Pollock fishery is only thirty or forty years old. Another difference pointed out by Bailey, is that it seems the fishery management for Alaskan Pollock keeps the Pollock population within the sustainable levels that were “set by science.” This is different from the management of Atlantic Cod because, as Charles Clover states, “an army of scientists in one of the world’s wealthiest and most advanced nations managed to destroy one of the richest fisheries in the world.” One other difference about the two fisheries is the stage that they are in. The Cod fishery has already experienced their collapse whereas the Pollock fishery is in the midst of sustainable harvesting.

bmmatala
    Participant

I agree with the differences that you listed here. I believe that the two are very similar In multiple ways but also have several differences and this is why the pollock industry prospers as of right now and has been while the cod industry collapsed, and the major difference is that the pollock is being held at a sustainable size in the wild and cod wasn’t.

Ron Sheldon
    Participant

I agree. One similarity that may cause problems in the future is the lack of one regulating body to control fishing. In addition to the fishing that goes on in unregulated waters, the lack of a set cooperation of harvest levels among nations there is a huge potential for overfishing.

aknobloch
    Participant

i think another difference between the two can be seen in the number of nations fishing. The pollock fishery is mainly the US, Japan, and Russia, however, the cod fishery saw way more involvement from a larger number of nations. This led to even more difficulties in trying to regulate the fishery.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World