Salmon

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    khteets
    Participant

The salmon species is a tough and very diverse fish that is make to tough it out their whole life. Wild salmon tend to prefer cold, oxygen rich water with a plentiful food source. When they get big enough and old enough, they swim back up the rivers and streams to the play they were born to spawn. They’ve been able to survive for a long time on their own, even with predators eating them.
    Now, we are trying to help keep the numbers of salmon up or at least at a somewhat healthy number, but at the same time we are polluting the waters they thrive and spawn in. We are polluting the salmon with poor genes from the fish we farm. They are meant to grow at a faster rate than the wild salmon so they don’t live as long either and most likely don’t spawn. If they do, they are passing along the poor quality genes they were made to have to their offspring, polluting the pure genes or bloodstream of the wild salmon. On the other hand, we are polluting the water since almost all fisheries are on the rivers. The water gets polluted with everything that going in and out of the fisheries, including diseases and algae. This harms not only the fish but also the environment that they live in, which can kill the plants and even make the other inhabitants sick.
    Personally, I think we should be doing better, like maybe decrease the amount of salmon taken every year, not farming as much fish, and not trying to speed up the process of the salmon’s growth. I also noticed something the last time I was out fishing for salmon three years ago. We ended up catching a couple salmon here and there but didn’t max. As we were cleaning the fish something was off about the coloring of some of them, it was paler, almost like a slightly pink sand. That was one thing, the other was when we cook it up it didn’t taste as good, or tasted off to me. About half the salmon we caught that year were farmed fish. This was just a sign that there are a lot of farm fish out with the wild. Now whether that’s a good thing or not that’s up to you.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World