#rememberthemoratorium

Home Forums Due Nov 12 by 11:59pm #rememberthemoratorium

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #196499
    kmwong
    Participant

I chose this hashtag because I feel like it encompasses a huge part of the past mistakes we made and their consequences. The fact that if we do not learn our lessons from those mistakes made that led to the moratorium of the Northern Cod fishery in Newfoundland it will be bound to repeat itself. This doesn’t even have to do with Cod. All our fisheries should be considered fragile and if we do not manage our fisheries not only will the economy of those whose livelihoods are fishing but also the species that were not managed properly in the area will suffer. We can not expect the species to come back even if making the fishing of that species illegal. I believe that management of fisheries should always remember the consequences of what happened to the Newfoundland fishery and how to avoid a disaster like that.

#196510
    imatsui
    Participant

I agree with you. I didn’t know about tragedy of Newfoundland cod fishery before taking this class but I feel like more people need to learn about those past failure. Not only fishery or research people but general public need to be educated more about what had happened and what is happening in fisheries. Even if you don’t eat fish or live far from ocean, we all live in same planet and at the end, we will get some kind of influence from fishery failure.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World