#natureovercomfort

Home Forums Due Nov 12 by 11:59pm #natureovercomfort

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    svsanchezbutler
    Participant

I chose the hashtag #natureovercomfort because time and time again humans have always chose to do things to make themselves more comfortable while completely destroying a habitat or a species. Such as the fact that it’s unnecessary for humans to over-harvest a species since most of that will go to waste. It’ll sit in our supermarkets too much to be bought and it’ll go bad then go straight in the dumpster. Anytime we run into an example of how humans have diminished an entire species such as Northern Cod, we see the same mistakes made over and over. Yes it creates more jobs, yes there is a large income being brought in, but can we really not make it work where we are sustainable while creating more jobs for those who need? We just need to take a step back and think if it’s really worth destroying an entire population for our own comfort, take what we need and that’s it.

hcbass
    Participant

I agree with you completely. As a society we have chosen to do what is convenient for us rather than what is right and what is sustainable. This hashtag reminds me a lot of the plastics movement and how we have chosen single use plastics because they are convenient despite their detrimental effects on the environment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World