My hope for Sustainability

Home Forums Due September 17 by 11:59 pm My hope for Sustainability

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    bmarshall6
    Participant

Originally sustainability to me was keeping the status quo. That is to say that as long as humans were able to survive and leave the world a better place or at least keep things as they are for later generations, then we are living a sustainable life. However, I like Mr. Solow’s definition of sustainability much better. The idea of leaving the world in a place where later generations the ability to fair just as well if not better than we are currently. I do believe that if we are to continue to grow as a culture then we will need to find different ways to cultivate and harvest foods throughout the world. This means finding substitutes for wild species even if it means growing them on farms. I think that if we can raise and harvest cattle why couldn’t we do that with something like salmon (Salmo Domesticus). However, currently it seems like a taboo thing to want to eat a farm raised salmon vs a wild caught salmon. In my opinion if we had larger fish farms, even if the pressure were lifted slightly on wild fish then maybe just that little amount of pressure would be enough for some of the more over fished species to make a small comeback.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World