Fish Priorities

Home Forums Due October 22nd due 11:59pm Fish Priorities

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #196171
    bmmatala
    Participant

In the concluding part of the book there are four priorities that are introduced and they are
    1. profound reduction in fish effort
    2. conversion of significant portions of ocean ecosystems to no-catch areas
    3. global protection of unmanageable species, and lastly
    4. protection of the bottom of the food chain
    Greenberg uses these priorities to go towards supporting the wild fish that are in the environment and to also question the people’s choices that they are continuously making over the years. The second priority that Greenberg makes is a very good one and I like it a lot, it appeals to me because it seems to me that people who are going fishing don’t always respect the animals who give us a food source, but there are some people that do. We should learn to make problems better on a certain level by taking better care of our wild animals especially our fish on the planet. If I could make another priority to the list it would be to regulate fishing more. Maybe just by taking numbers of the amount of fish are caught in a certain species to keep the levels in the wild at a stable level permanently, or maybe it would be to have regulations on certain areas for fishing to have more off seasons for certain fish to let their population grow to a certain size, or maybe even to put fishing limits on certain areas, and more common and better limits for people.

#196230
    peepple
    Participant

I believe that the management regulations based off fish population should always be monitored. The population changes every day, from both human interaction and natural events (ex. storms, increased predator presence besides humans). I do agree that the regulations need to be set by the population of the fish in question, because only they can be the ones to replenish it, and if we make the set by our own standards, then we run the possibility of overfishing.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World