AquAdvantage vs Salmo Domesticus

Home Forums Due September 10 by 11:59pm AquAdvantage vs Salmo Domesticus

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kmingo2
    Participant

Both of these salmon variants can be considered genetically engineered “salmon” in a way but they have some significant differences as well as some similarities. As we discussed before, salmo domesticus is raised in the same habitat as natural salmon and there is concern for the domesticated fish to escape and disrupt the reproduction and competition qualities of natural stocks. However, AquAdvantage salmon are raised in tanks and are “physically contained” as GreenBerg writes. This eliminates the concern for escapement and disease transmission.
    Additionally, both types of “salmon” were created for the purpose of maximizing pounds per individual for human food consumption. This brings me to my view on the the idea on ‘genetic engineering is the obvious next in the history of human’s cultivating our food’; the use of genetic engineering for food cultivation will become increasingly necessary as the human population increases therefore increasing the need for food. As already done with plants, humans will continue to work towards the most possible food for as little cost as possible. I would hypothesize that as the population increases we will actively see more variety and new attempts at meat production efficiency, and salmo domesticus and AquAdvanatge “salmon” are only the beginning.

hcbass
    Participant

Do you think the human population will eventually reach its carrying capacity, or do you think that since we keep trying to make more and more food that we are going past what should have been our carrying capacity?

imatsui
    Participant

I also think this is the beginning and human will keep trying to seek the way to produce food more efficiently to feed this increasing population. But I still doubt if our technology can keep up with our too rapid population increase.

Kortney Birch
    Participant

Even though it seems “necessary” for humans to go into a future with more genetically engineered fish, I really don’t think people should. I hope that humans stop over-exploiting innocent populations of organisms then trying to half-heartedly amend the issue by farming their own solution.

bmarshall6
    Participant

I’d agree that yes, as human populations grow so too does the need to grow more stable food products while maintaining a budget that the public is able to afford. However, I think it could be done with minimal genetic modifications all the while maintaining the wild stocks. That being said the path we are headed down is a steep slope because its human nature to take the easiest path in the name of costs vs doing what is right to preserve the ecosystem for later generations.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World