AquAdvantage v Salmo domesticus

Home Forums Due September 10 by 11:59pm AquAdvantage v Salmo domesticus

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #195747
    smoswald2
    Participant

While both Salmo domesticus and AquAdvantage salmon are both products of human manipulation, Salmo domesticus resulted from selective breeding whereas AquAdvantage salmon are genetically modified organisms. Because AquAdvantage salmon are genetically modified, they are supposedly sterile so that eliminates the danger of them escaping and breeding with wild stocks (like Salmo domesticus can and has). While Salmo domesticus were bred to produce large fish, AquAdvantage salmon were genetically modified to reach full size in about half the time that Salmo domesticus does. This means that more fish can be sold in a shorter amount of time.
    With the global population still exponentially increasing, it does make sense to turn toward genetically modified food sources. GMOs enable more food to be produced in a shorter amount of time, with less resources, which is what we need. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t negative consequences to genetically modifying animals. Diseases can be introduced to wild species and can be potentially devastating, and if there are not alternative food sources, then GMOs and wild stocks will be competing for food. I believe that GMOs are a good alternative given that the necessary precautions are taken to ensure that the cultivation of these animals won’t have negative impacts on wild species or the environment. It’s necessary to come up with alternative food sources with the population as large as it is.

#195765
    hmhellen
    Participant

I agree that we should use GMOs. With a growing population, they will definitely become more necessary. I also think there are areas in the world already that can benefit from GMOs. I’ve heard of crops in certain areas being altered to include certain vitamins or to grow better in certain conditions.

#195796
    armathews3
    Participant

But this is not a farm. This is the open ocean. We start changing the balance of organisms in all tropics levels. Meaning we will have to look at ever single organizations and make decisions about all of them every single time you want to even think about changing things. But ocean acidification is happening so who really knows what we should be doing?

#195797
    alwhitney2
    Participant

I believe that to make the fish sterile they actually have to heat them when they are eggs, not that being genetically modified automatically makes them sterile. While I agree this is a benefit for AquaAdvtange salmon, as they would not compete with wild fish for more than one generation. However, this does bring up questions of how many salmon actually end up infertile? Is it a 100% guaranteed process, or is there an error rate? That would be my biggest worry, if there is still a possibility for fertile fish to exist.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World