Reply To: Galton's Criteria

Home Forums Due September 24 by 11:59pm Galton's Criteria Reply To: Galton's Criteria

sdensmore
Participant

The answer and opinion to if Sea Bass and Atlantic Salmon are good enough candidates and high quality formed aquaculture? Simply put I believe that the bass is far too delicate and elaborate for the genetical program, and the Atlantic Salmon have their own issues as well, plus the Bass being high maintenance and fragile, is ultimately not a good candidate. However looking at the potential of the European Sea Bass species as they currently enjoy their amazing reputation all over Europe, from zootechnic and having them try and master artificial breeding to fattening. Now there are a lot of pros to having domesticated bass but I feel that the cons outweigh them, for starters, there are a limited number of production sites (especially along the French Coast, in direct competition with tourism space and use) plus a very competitive European market, also not to mention size of the farmed fish is apparently too small to enable filleting or prepared dishes. Species with slowed growth and low fillet yield 40%. They would also contain diseases such as nodavirius, vibriosis, and pasteurellosis which is non transmissible to humans, but still they are diseases overall. As for the Atlantic Salmon, they are far more hardier of a fish to withstand domestication and are a more durable breed, but are still quite difficult to construct in aquaculture, so my final say is no both forms of fish would not be good candidates for the engineering process.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World