Reply To: Wild Chinook and Domesticated Salmon

Home Forums Due September 3 by 11:59 pm Wild Chinook and Domesticated Salmon Reply To: Wild Chinook and Domesticated Salmon

alwhitney2
Participant

I agree with you that farming salmon that still maintain wild characteristics & overall hardiness would be nice, but I believe that is rather unrealistic. If they raised salmon that still had the wild resilience as wild salmon, they would be slower growing, and require more food per lb resulting in it becoming more expensive. The wild characteristics that make wild salmon so hardy are directly in conflict with the efficient, cheap characteristics of farmed salmon. I believe a better expectation would be to have stricter regulations for fish farmers, and expect them to prevent the escape of their farmed salmon. Greenburg says that farmed fish escape in the millions every year, and that just seems crazy. While it would be difficult to enforce regulation throughout many countries, at least here in the U.S. surely we could have high requirements for hatcheries pens to be escape proof.

Fish and Fisheries in a Changing World