FTT#3 Salmo Domesticus

Salmo Doemsticus: Domesticated Salmon

Salmo salar: Wild Salmon

Mart Gross, a conservation biologist is a person to raise recognition of a new species called “Salmo Domesticus” 1998,  He stated, “Domesticated salmon are about as different from wild salmon adogs are from wolves.” Like dogs, salmon have now become dependent on humans to survive.

This the first time I have heard the term “Salmo Domesticus” and my first thought was “must be talking about domesticated salmon.” As far as researching online I had a hard time locating articles using the term “Salmo Domesticus.”

The process started in Norway, a process that disrupted the wild salmon across the world. The process began to make salmon twice the size and grow faster therefore adding to the marketplace. The wild salmon gene is almost to extinction, farm-raised salmon are overtaking the wild salmon. Over the years I personally have seen salmon on the interior drop in size and numbers. Recently I was introduced to sea lice, a common problem in farm raising salmon.

It definitely is a curse to me, and how can it be solved?

When I look at both sides with an open mind I see that we can definitely put more salmon in the marketplace but at what cost?

Farming salmon is a risky business because it brings diseases from the hatchery to the open sea therefore spreading and harming wild salmon. Farming salmon erases the wild gene in the salmon and then what?

Salmon go to the sea to mature and when are done maturing and need to spawn then head to freshwaters to spawn. The curse lies in the removal of the wild genome and diseases that happen due to human failure.