Salmo domesticus 9/22

According to Greenberg, Salmo domesticus is the most successful salmon in the world. But what is it? Salmo domesticus is the end result of a Norwegian breeding program aimed at producing a salmon that grew bigger, faster. One thing that enabled them to do this was the enormous genetic potential within the wild salmon population. Early breeders discovered that by crossing all the lines of different salmon families you would get a salmon that grew faster than the previous generation. So, within just two generations the Norwegians were able to create a salmon with double the growth rate compared to its wild counterpart.

When trying to decide if Salmo domesticus is a blessing or a curse I remembered this quote from the book, ”Humans now outnumber wild salmon by a ratio of seven to one. What would happen if every human on earth demanded wild salmon instead of farmed salmon? Instant extinction.”

I think that with most human advancements Salmo domesticus has the potential to be both. Regardless we created it, it probably is not going to go away so it needs to be managed responsibly so as not to become a liability to our wild stock and the communities that rely on those wild populations . However, with responsible management, I think it has the potential to bring a more affordable salmon to the dinner table. Especially in areas where fish is not a readily available animal protein and is expensive.

3 thoughts on “Salmo domesticus 9/22”

1. I absolutely agree that salmo domesticus isn’t going away. If we ignore it then no good will come of it. The management would be required to be able to make the farmed fish as beneficial as possible.

2. Amanda, you’re right in my opinion that farm-raised salmon is a blessing to man and a curse to wild salmon. We as humans will rely on farmed salmon in the future as wild salmon struggle to exist. I feel that the harm may have already been done and the humans the rely on wild salmon will pay the consequences.