FTT 9/22

Salmo Domesticus, explained by Paul Greenburg, is a farmed salmon that is now genetically different than the salmon they originated from. They are genetically distinct from wild Salmon because they have a different genome. The farmed salmon are becoming more efficient at producing larger body mass with less nutritional input. Salmon that can become bigger with less food is desirable to salmon farmers. These salmon being farmed are not good for the wild salmon populations because they are being released at more significant quantities than the wild salmon to the open ocean and compete for available prey to consume.  The farmed salmon do not have the same adaptive traits that wild salmon do, allowing wild salmon to span upstreams that farmed salmon cannot navigate.

I see the Salmo Domesticus as a blessing and a curse for different reasons. They are a blessing for many in the fisheries because they provide income for many small towns limited to the outside world. Farmed salmon have fed many people providing a healthy meal all over the world. The curse is that they compete against the wild salmon for food. Many people rely on wild salmon to return as a way of life, and they will be hurt more than financially by farmed salmon competition. The more farmed salmon there is, the more food taken from the ocean and other trophic levels. I don’t believe that we will ever know the impact of farmed salmon on wild salmon. The book says we would have to not release farmed salmon to know. I believe the economic impact is too significant to find out.

2 thoughts on “FTT 9/22”

1. Branddon, I agree that we will never know the exact impacts of farmed salmon on wild salmon, but some research has been able to create a percentage of wild fish killed by farmed fish in a given ecosystem. It sounds like a very low percentage, but we know how quickly things can get out of hand! I think the farmed salmon do have some benefits, but they are mostly scary to put alongside our remaining wild fish.