FTT #3 Salmo domesticus

Salmo Domesticus is a genetically distinct domesticated variant species of salmon that originated in Norway. It was bred from Atlantic salmon to be fast growing and convert food to body mass more efficiently. Salmo domesticus quickly became popular with fish farmers. One of the issues with farmed salmon is accidental release. Salmon are often farmed in open net pens in the open oceans right off shore, these net pens can sometimes break and release huge numbers of domesticated salmon into the wild. These fish then interbreed with wild salmon. The spawn of wild and domesticated salmon are unable to survive in the wild like 100% wild salmon are, this is a threat to wild salmon stocks.

I think that Salmo domesticus has the potential to be both a blessing and a curse depending on how the salmon aquaculture industry develops. If the aquaculture industry moves away from open net pens and towards more efficient and secure methods of farming salmon then I believe that Salmo domesticus has the potential to be a huge asset going forward. Salmon farming has the potential to help relieve the pressure on wild salmon stocks and help return wild salmon to a more sustainable luxury product. However, if open net pens and other destructive methods of farming salmon continue they will inevitably damage wild salmon stocks and destroy the salmon across the world. In short, Salmo domesticus has great potential to be a huge part of sustainable worldwide food security but if it is improperly managed it will destroy the worldwide salmon industry.

2 thoughts on “FTT #3 Salmo domesticus”

1. Hello Eli,

Great post. Acknowledging the open net farms and the risk that goes along with it makes me too concerned of their handling techniques used. I’ll try and be optimistic here by believing that these lab rat salmon intertangling with the wild ones could create have both negative and positive outcomes. A negative being that it could cloud the reproductive system and these engineered fish may not have the strength to make it to spawning territory. A positive being that when the genes mix, it produces a cyborg wild salmon.

2. I totally agree that the salmo domesticus is a risk but also a benefit. The pressure it would relive on wild salmon stocks would be huge. However, I like that you brought up the destructive ways to farm salmon, even if the pressure is taken off the wild salmon when fishing, if we don’t also fix the harmful methods of farming the wild salmon, the damage will only continue.