FP#4

As far as I know, Salmo domesticus, is like a chicken. Paul Greenberg described how they first created the frankenfish in Four Fish, and frankenfish is the right word for it. They took a bunch of different strains of Atlantic Salmon and bred them together, selective breeding, and created a fish that grows fast, doesn’t eat as much, and doesn’t mind living life in a pen. Amazingly, the fish seem to be able to adapt to life like a normal salmon when they break free and survive. In Four Fish, Greenberg does state that these frankenfish manage to breed in rivers and carry on with their steelhead-esque life, slowly bringing salmon runs back to the East Coast of Canada. Although that is a good thing in my mind, and I also like the fact that they manage to really take strain off of the wild salmon left, I feel that farming them in the Pacific Ocean and down in the Southern Hemisphere can be incredibly harmful due to the same reason they are a good thing in the Atlantic. I have heard reports of pens breaking open in British Columbia and the salmon running up rivers on the West Cost, making them an invasive species.

5 thoughts on “FP#4”

1. Hello Axel,
    I really enjoyed the fact that you compared salmo domesticus to a chicken. Ypur wording is very creative and I enjoy seeing that in some of these posts.

2. i really like you comparison of salmo domesticus to chicken. if i remember correctly, dosent KFC breed genetically modified chicken so they yield larger pieces of meat? if so i wonder what the future could hold for salmo domesticus.

3. Alex, you described your post well. I agree that fish want to be fish and are able to adapt and hang in there. In the Southern-Hemesphere the salmon are probably considered an invasive species and really do pose a threat to native species. I believe that domesticus salmon are good for man and bad for salmon.

4. Alex, I also referenced these salmon to our broiler chickens. It is one of the best comparisons in my mind! These fish are just made to grow large and fill our dinner tables. It is nice to hear a little bit of the positive sides of farmed salmon, while also realizing they can be detrimental.