FTT- 9/22

Salmo domesticus in my understanding is domesticated salmon. This means  it was made to grow fast and in a controlled environment. When I very first learned about farmed fish is was not good . I was told that they put growth hormones and dyes into the fish to make them look more appealing so they can be sold more easily.  When reading from what Greenburg says about the farmed fish I believe that they are detrimental to the environment.  From the book it states that to get one pound of farmed fish there would need to be six pounds of wild fish. These fish are ground up into pellets for the farmed fish to eat. (P.g. 44) This is very harmful to the environment causing a deficit in the wild populations.  Not only do these farmed fish need food they need a space to grow.  These farms are large and can harm the environment also.  There is waste and chemicals that are released from these farms harming the ecosystem around them.  In my own opinion I believe that farmed fish are harming our fish populations  and ecosystem.

3 thoughts on “FTT- 9/22”

1. I really like your point that fish farms take up a lot of space and can produce waste in the environment. Even if we make fish farms self-sufficient and green, they will still be taking up valuable resources and space that could otherwise be used by wild animals. This seems wrong to me, especially since we’ve been learning about the limited resources that govern competition and the behavior of species. What we do with farmed fish could have far reaching consequences in the natural environment.

2. Margaret,
    You made we think back to when I learned about farmed salmon. I was a child in a restaurant listening to my mom grill some waiter on whether or not the salmon on the menu was farmed. When they said I believe it is “Atlantic Salmon”, my Mom would feel the urge to inform them that is another name for marketing farmed fish. Then she’d go on to tell them about the parasites and dyes… yes my mom is a bit of a Karen. I tend to agree with you that the cons outweigh the pros of farm fishing and that it causes harm to the natural environment.

Thanks for sharing
    -Madelyn

3. I completely agree with your statement about fish needing room to grow. Seems like activity and movement would make for a healthier fish. I wonder if the fish pellets produced for feed could be made from the dying salmon that have already returned to the rivers and spawned. Although, I think the carcasses of the dead fish fertilize the waters of the rivers they return to, so perhaps they shouldn’t be removed. I’m curious if there is another means for producing the pellets that feed farmed fish.