FTT 9/22- Salmo domesticus

To my understanding Salmo domesticus is when a salmon is no longer wild, man interferes with the natural life cycle. What is the purpose? Man no longer views the fish, Salmon as an animal but an item, with room to improve. Norwegians were able to double the growth rate of the salmon which means it takes less time for the fish to mature, time is money. In addition, from this breeding became a separate line of salmon, domestic losing it’s wild heritage. Allowing for increased production of farmed salmon forever with selective breeding of favorable genes for human consumption. While being able to feed more of the population at a reduced price is a novel thought the Salmo domesticus poses some concerns. One being that one that escapes from farm pens into the wild breed with wild stock. This is bad because the fish born in captivity don’t possess the traits that wild fish do and depend on for survival. For example a fish spawning in a faster moving stream/river needs to be stronger and bigger to be successful or adaptations needed to avoid predators. The Salmo domesticus dilutes the gene pool and makes the fish born in the wild with their traits struggle to reproduce viable offspring. Another drawback is the hormones, pesticides and antibiotics being introduced to the farmed fish. Which ultimately finds its way back to the consumers plate, raising health concerns for consumption as well as the ecosystem surrounding farm sites. These fish are not meant to survive without human support. I understand that stocks are struggling to sustain themselves due to decades of human disruption and that a farmed fish was created in response. Although I can’t help feeling there are two wrongs trying to make a right which is really just creating yet another obstacle for the depleting wild stock.

One thought on “FTT 9/22- Salmo domesticus”

1. I like how you said we no longer view the fish as a species but now they are items that we can control however we want. I agree with you that farming fish like this will hurt the ecosystem as a whole and it’s just a bandaid on a deep wound that we continue to cause.