FTT#2

There were a few  things that caught my eye and they were:

the exchange of thirty-odd pounds of frozen, processed chicken and beef for a thirty-pound fresh king salmon from the wild currents of the Yukon.”

“A cage is a cage is a cage”

The tamed-salmon genome is now markedly different from the wild -salmon genome. When tamed salmon escape into the wild (as they do in the millions every year) they risk displacing a self sustaining wild fish population with a domesticated race that is not capable of surviving without human support.”

Where as Alaskan salmon outnumber Alaskan humans by a ratio of fifteen hundred to one, the global human population outnumbers the global wild salmon population probably somewhere on the order of seven to one. But unlike the Yupik Eskimo mentality, the Judeo-Christian mind is governed by a faith in improvement and transformation of the natural world. The Yupiks wait for the game to arrive. Judeo-Christians see the arrival of food on their plates as something that can be scheduled and augmented by focusing effort.”

I do agree with what Greenburg stated in the chapter Salmon.

I grew up within a strong subsistence family. We gathered and hunted during the warmer months, we did not rely store bought meats, fish or berries.
I remember as a little girl hearing my father talk to my grandfather about the cannery that opened in Nenana and how the discussion went on for a long time with serious looks upon their faces.

The food we gathered was to sustain us during the long winter months as well as help others that might be in need of a hot meal. I do not ever recall our family being without food. It kept us closely connected; hunting and gathering from nature, kept us at peace within our home and we stayed healthy.
I now see why my father and grandfather were concerned with our tiny town opening up a cannery. It changed how some people harvested salmon, it gave them a drive for money instead of survival. Greed replaced that salmon dinner during the winter months.
Life is different than when I was younger and the culture is struggling to survive in some villages.

One important thing that my family taught me was to allow the animal to give itself to you, to show it the upmost respect and in this we can walk in unity with nature and animals.

Salmon is Life and I hope that I can somehow help so that we do not lose our salmon and way of life.

3 thoughts on “FTT#2”

1. i agree. over my 18 years on this planet ive noticed a decline in the population and health of the local fish, so i cant even imagine what my grandparents or even great grand parents have seen through out their years of fishing. i too hope that theres something we can do to help save the salmon, but i have a feeling that by the time there is something to do, it’ll already be too late.

1. I am 35 years old and must have been 7-8 years old when this conversation took place. I definitely have seen a huge change, changes that I didn’t like seeing and thats why I chose this course.
      In my grandparents photo albums were pages upon pages of subsistence gathering photos. They lived to be in their mid 80’s and i believe that was a direct result of how they lived their lives and by the food they ate. The freezer filled with salmon steaks, strip, eating fish, half dry, salmon eggs, moose meat, caribou, berries.

2. What a great post! I love how you say that hunting/gathering/fishing brought your family together. Even though I did not grow up in a small village or far away from civilization, my family made a large effort to teach my sister and I how important it is to learn how to live off the land. Greenberg is seeing the large impacts of our food sources disappearing and it is sad, stressful, and he will keep these memories forever.