FTT 9/16

The word parallel jumps out at me in this passage by Paul Greenberg, as a child in school I learned the definition of parallel to be, two lines that will never intersect. The passage talks of the future of wild salmon and future of the Yupik. This being said I interpret Greenberg’s meaning as two paths, the salmon one line, the Yupik people as the other as two futures that no longer share the same course. As much as it saddens me to say it, yes I agree with this claim by Greenberg. The wild salmon runs are not what they once were on the Yukon and being that it is the longest salmon river in the world there is merit in strict regulations to protect. The Yupik people settled in the area ten thousand years ago. There is a long history of man’s relationship to the salmon in the area with rich cultural and historic roots. In order to protect this way of life for the Yupik people, biologists monitor numbers in the river using this data, from their findings they make educated guesses on the health of the fish. Which in return dictates their decision, on deciding sport fishing limits and when to have commercial openers. They reserve the right to act as conservatively as they feel is necessary to insure a sustainable fishery. The Yupik board of directors of Kwik’pak hope native caught Yukon Kings will become one of the most valued fish on Earth. Hopefully the Yukon continues to be protected and cherish so that the way of life it supports is protected as well. 

One thought on “FTT 9/16”

1. I like that you pointed out the government’s efforts to maintain the wild salmon stocks of the Pacific. I think Alaska, with the help of biologists, has done a great job of regulating the salmon runs to try and maintain their populations. Can it be improved? Yes, of course. All programs have room for improvement, but given how relatively young the practice is, I think Alaska is leading the world by example. With great efforts, stocks can be maintained. Climate change, pollution, bycatch, and illegal fishing may be more difficult to control, but by putting regulations on commercial, sport, and subsistence fishing, one can only hope the stocks will rebound. Thanks for pointing that out!