FTT Yupik People

In this chapter, I think Greenberg meant that Yupik people were going in the same direction as the wild salmon. Parallel meaning that they are both interconnected, and that they both rely on each other.  As they also have an affect on each other, good and bad. Just like mammals, the Yupik people rely on salmon as a main food source as they have for 10,000 years. As Greenberg mentioned, ” Yearly stocking may become as imperative for their survival as food stamps are to the Yupik.” Meaning without any sort of outside management, the population of future wild salmon could vanish forever. I agree that there needs to be certain regulations in place, to prevent a mass irruption in the species. I agree to a certain extent, because like it says in the passage, “There is no real certain way  to test to see if we’ve gone too far. ” The only way would be to stop stocking Alaskan rivers, and then see what happens, but even that is detrimental. It is detrimental if the “wild” Alaskan runs disappear after we interfere by not stocking the rivers. I think Greenberg will learn a lot more as he goes into his investigation and does more research, but I think as far as where his head is at right now, that hes definitely not wrong. The Yupik people definitely pose a great impact on the Wild salmon, as salmon do in return. So, yes I would say that they are very parallel to each other, because the future is dependent upon them both.

The decline of wild salmon in Alaska’s Yukon is putting lives and native culture at risk

3 thoughts on “FTT Yupik People”

1. I think your take on this is really interesting! I agree with you that their paths are interconnected, and I think that we should be making strides to ensure that wild salmon don’t disappear. It is really fascinating to think about what would happen if we stopped stocking the rivers, but right now it seems like a huge risk. And yet we really don’t know at this point what we have done to impact the ecosystem and what overall effect it will have. I hope fisheries management can figure out how to make wild salmon populations sustainable.

2. I really like your analysis of this chapter! I completely agree that the salmon and the Yupik people are interconnected and they both rely on each other, and I think it’s an interesting observation that the salmon rely on outside influence right now (fish stocking) because the quote that you used shows that the Yupik people do now as well with services like food stamps. It would be nice if either of these populations were able to survive on their own, but at this point I think they have both been so heavily affected by society that leaving them on their own would be detrimental – which I agree is too dangerous to test because stopping stocking the river could have major negative impacts and the nation can’t just abandon the native tribes.

3. You mentioned Greenberg’s quote, “Yearly stocking may become as imperative for their survival as food stamps are to the Yupik.” That line also stood out to me. I have not visited any remote villages in the interior, but if they truly are as poor as Greenberg states in the book, then losing a lifeline as vital as the salmon could be devastating for them. To lose ten thousand years of culture and heritage will be catastrophic for their ways of life. I recently looked at a map that shows the hatchery locations within Alaska. I was surprised to see that all the Interior hatcheries no longer exist. Southeast Alaska has 20 currently active hatcheries that are doing well. I wonder why the Interior hatcheries have been closed. Were they not successful?