FTT post due September 15 by 11:59pm

In the chapter on Salmon, the author Paul Greenberg writes “I couldn’t help but think that in a way the future of wild salmon and the future of the Yupik people were somehow sadly parallel to each other.

In a post of at least 250 words, discuss what you think Greenberg meant in this passage. Do you agree? Why or why not? 

By 11:59 pm on Wednesday September 16, comment on at least two posts by your fellow students to set the stage for our in-class discussion.  I think it is going to be a good one!

2 thoughts on “FTT post due September 15 by 11:59pm”

1. through my reading of the salmon chapter, i found that Greenberg’s words claiming that the life of the salmon and the Yupik people are parallel, is the best possible way to say it. when reading my classmates thoughts on this subject, i found alot of them claimed for the salmons fate and the Yupik peoples fate arent parallel, but rather intertwined, i would say i agree, but that isnt the point of what Greenberg was trying to emphasize. I personally think that Greenberg was trying to say that, in a very summarized sense, the lively hoods of the Yupik people, and the lively hoods of the salmon are both on route to fall apart, not that if one falls apart, so does the other. among the Yupik people, mental health problems are severe, and rightfully so, but the salmon arent facing a mental health crisis. as Greenberg mentioned, he has noticed that there has been a decline in the health and population in the salmon. overall, i think it is very interesting comparing the decline between two completely different organisms, and i think its going to be very surprising to see how these populations turn out in the future.

2. I would agree with Greenberg because of how much the Yupik people depend on the salmon. Since the Yupik people rely on the salmon so much there is no way that there future won’t Inter wine with the salmon is some way. Now obviously the Yupik people could eat something else, but salmon is their main dish and they have a lot of cultural ties with salmon that makes it difficult to separate the two.