FTT #1

Greenberg’s personal experience that set him on a journey to learn about fisheries stemmed from his love of fishing as a child, but became rooted when he returned to fishing as an adult.  During his childhood, he began fishing in ponds and lakes, but as the fish became depleted, he found himself moving into streams and rivers, and then into the ocean to increase his catch.  As an adult, he realized fishermen were having to go even further into the ocean to catch fish due to the continually decreasing schools along the shorelines.  In addition, he noticed four particular kinds of fish that were being sold in grocery stores.  That piqued his interest even more, causing him to learn about fisheries.

For me personally, I grew up fishing and still love it to this day. Living on an island where fish is plentiful and groceries are expensive, Sitka relies heavily on subsistence fishing. My first summer back after college, I was looking for a job and came across a “job for hire” ad for the Fish and Game Dept of AK. It was temporary, summertime work that required me to collect data and genetics from the code wires of tagged fish caught by commercial trollers. I love the job so much that I returned the following summer. Working for the Fish and Game for two summers gave me an insight on the importance of sustainability in our wildfish stocks. That led to my interest in working in the Fisheries industry.

I really like how Greenberg said “Four fish, then. Or rather four archetypes of fish flesh, which humanity is trying to master in one way or another, either through the management of a wild system, through the domestication and farming of individual species, or through the outright substitution of one species for another.” (pg. 11) and “but the fish we have chosen to tame are by and larger animals that satisfy whimsical gustatory predilections rather than the requirements of sound ecologically based husbandry.” (pg. 13).  At this point in the book, I think Greenberg sees the health of world fisheries as somewhat dire.  In need of help, but not necessarily to an extreme.  By the end of the book, I think Greenberg will be a little more concerned, given the state our stocks are in.  However, I also believe he will be optimistic that there is hope for recovery, since he has acknowledged the fact that fish stocks are capable of rebounding.