FTT #1

After reading this introduction to the book and the general trend that the author suggested, I believe that at this point in the book he would have expressed deep concern for the worlds fisheries and global health. Growing up in Alaska I have several instances where I learned a plethora of things about fish and fisheries. I also had to grow to learn that all things are not what they seem unless you look at the bigger picture. In the summers I traveled and stayed with extended family in Michigan. Just like in the story, there was a pond by my aunts house, me and my cousins would spend every day out by the pond catching and releasing frogs. The window troughs to her basement were always full of frogs, you couldn’t go far without seeing at least a few frogs where ever you went in the area. I hadn’t realized that after all the years that there are no more frogs. My family owns a home next to my aunts house on a small river, and yet I haven’t seen frogs around the area in several years. Its always puzzled me as to what actually happened to all the frogs, I’m hoping to try to look into it more this semester. Although this isn’t a fishery, it had a huge impact on how I thought of the resources the world had to offer, they are far from infinite. By the end of the book I hope that the author will find some good news for the world but I highly doubt his ideas will change towards the decline in the global fisheries as a whole.

2 thoughts on “FTT #1”

1. How interesting! I have never really seen a frog up close. Well, not wild ones. I think catching frogs is something I would have loved to do when I was growing up. My friends and I used to catch bullheads and baby crab in the tide pools of our beaches. That was fun! So if catching frogs is anywhere near as much fun as that, then I would have loved it : ) Interesting that the frogs have disappeared in the ponds near your extended family’s home. That is something you should look into. Perhaps there was an abundance of fish or birds that fed upon the frog eggs or larvae? Let us know if you find anything out!

1. In Nenana we used to go frog hunting in the swamps, thousands of tiny frogs hopping everywhere. Oh the joys of childhood huh?
      I can only imagine living by a beach and the wildlife caught there as a youngster! I would totally have loved living in my Inupiaq village which is on the west coast of Alaska. You’re lucky Zosha!