FTT #1

Paul Greenburg grew up in Greenwich Connecticut. He loved fishing, knew how to read rivers, knew the good spots for catching an abundance. He recalls that 1978 was a good year and owned an aluminum boat by 1981.

At the age of 19 he was no longer fishing, he went to college then a job in Bosnia. Coming home to his mother dying with cancer she urged him to go fishing. He noticed that the tackle shops held different tackle, the spring migration had changed.

I spent my summers along the Tanana River working fishwheels with my grandfather, my father and favorite uncle. During free time we would go fishing for pike at a favorite fishing spot.
We would also fish for grayling at Fish Creek, Bear Creek or Herman Shores. As I got older I realized that grayling are no catchable at Bear Creek and that there are fewer/smaller grayling at Herman Shores.

All 3 of the men worked for ADF&G counting salmon via fishwheel. I am walking in the footsteps of my forefathers by joining the Fisheries program. I hope to have my own fish camp along the Tanana River in the future. I would also like to build a fish trap like my ancestors.

4 thoughts on “FTT #1”

1. Something that stood out to me when I was reading about when Greenberg came back to his childhood fishing area was that he hadn’t fished there in years, so he saw the changes immediately. Whereas to the other fishermen it may have been something to complain about, they had been there for the decline when the fish became fewer and fewer. For Greenberg he fished there, left, and came back to find it all gone. I feel like that is what potentially sparked a bigger interest in him with what was happening. He came back and it was all different so when his mother died he went driving around to see what all else had changed, and that’s when he realized the extent of how different the local fishing was.

2. I agree with the idea from the earlier reply from Rheannon, on the other side of things it doesn’t always mean that changes cannot be seen slowly over time, in my post I realized things over the years, there wasn’t a really big gap to when it was different. I agree that changes are must easier to see after long gaps but its not the only way to see the progression.

3. Wow! How cool that you are continuing the family tradition of working with ADF&G. That’s something you should be proud of. No one in my family has ever worked for Fish & Game… that I know of, so I will be a first generation. I hope my kids follow in my footsteps. The work ADF&G do is important. Protecting the fish stocks in our waters is so necessary. Fish consumed and fish caught for profit are vital to the state of Alaska. I really hope you are able to own your own fish camp some day. That’s a great dream to have.

1. I am so excited to be a part of this Fisheries program! I have a scar on my thumb from dropping in a live box with my father. I remember using the net to pull up the salmon and tallying the counts in a tiny little book. I was 11-14 and I miss it so much.
      Sometimes we would pull up HUGE kings, I no longer see those sizes.