FTT- Sept. 3

I had a similar experience to Greenberg’s.  When I was in sixth grade our science class had to put on a science fair to demonstrate that we knew the scientific method. I decided to do mine on starfish populations over time. I went to a local harbor and counted how many starfish I saw,  also identifying what I could.  When the testing period was over the data was compiled and was presented. I fount the population was pretty consistent except for the day I couldn’t see due to weather.  Unfortunately this would be the last time i would see most of these starfish and this population. The next summer sea star wasting disease hit. This was dentromental to the starfish. It caused a major die off and one species is now considered endangered, after this my life forever changed.  I got more involved with research, I was even interviewed by the local radio station. I then went to volunteer at the science center. This was a fun experience for me and I got to learn more about the ocean that I love.

This point of the book I don’t believe he answered our question on the global fisheries. There still needs to be a lot more  discussed to figure out this question.

As for the end of the book, I feel like he will be more pessimistic. This is because sometimes you can be dissapointed with the findings of your research, so if he found that they are indeed all bad. This could upset him and he may want to do more research to find out what is going on.

4 thoughts on “FTT- Sept. 3”

1. Hello Margaret,

That sounds like am amazing 6th grade science fair project! I think I grew germs in one of my elementary school science fairs. Yours sounds way more interesting and less disgusting. I am sorry to hear about the sea star population, what causes sea star wasting disease? Is it still prevalent?

I am hoping that Greenberg ends the book on a more optimistic foot however I agree with you on your research finding. Disappointment in what you discover can lead to a poor outlook. I hope this isn’t that case. We will see.

Good job!

Amanda

1. It is hard to figure out how sea star wasting disease came about. It just appeared in 2014 off the Oregon and Washington coast and made it way up the coastline. The disease seems to have passed but most of out starfish are still struggling, like our sunflower stars. Theas starfish used to be very popular but now are extremely hard to find. I do hope for a better outlook on the fisheries, but i still see the book leading more pessimistic.

2. Margaret,
    That is incredible that at such a young age you become such an environmentalist and so passionate I don’t think most six graders would have the same level of maturity. I’d love to hear more about your volunteer work at the science center sometime, wow what cool opportunity. I’m sorry that your local starfish population was hit by wasting disease, your experience is uncanningly sad like Greenberg. I shared the same thought as you, I believe the book is heading in a more pessimistic note as well.

I’m glad we have such a passionate and driven scholar among us.
    Madelyn

1. I’m glad you mentioned my volunteer time. It was a fun learning experience, some of the things I did were feed the fish, interact with tourists, and even feed our resident octopus pearl. I also had the privilege to work with one of the scientists and do my own research project. I am glad you feel the same way I do about Greenburg the book is definitely heading more pessimistic.