FTT- #1

Greenberg found a fishing hole near his home that produced large fish (Large Mouth Bass) and became, what sounded like, one of his favorite past-times. The pond ends up having a mass die-off of the Large Mouth Bass for a reason unknown. I think this sets a fire beneath Greenberg to figure out why.

I did live in a mountainous area in Colorado for a few years called “Leadville.” This area sits at 10,200 feet making it the highest municipality in the United States and we were the epicenter of some phenomenal fly fishing streams. If I drove downhill a little ways, I’d hit a river called the Blue River. This river was ranked as a “Gold Medal Stream” which means there are a certain amount of large fish per square mile. I fished that river almost every day, like many others, and caught a few monster rainbow trout, but the fishing was extremely slow. The next year the Blue River was downgraded to a “Bronze Medal Stream.” I remember seeing fisheries crews floating down the river shocking it for data and seeing countless fish full of gill lice, tons of deformed hatchery rainbows, and every 22″+ fish missing maxillas from fishermen removing hooks roughly. I still don’t know why to this day why exactly the fishery went downhill so quickly outside of high pressure fishing, but it really did strike an interest in me to learn more about our fisheries and fish in general.

As for how Greenberg would have felt about worldwide fish stocks, I think he’d be at a loss to say. He had only been introduced to a small pond in a small area of Connecticut. I believe he’d say something is likely going on, but it’s hard to say just what at this moment. When you see your first mass die-off- i’m sure you know there’s a problem brewing somewhere, so this is likely the beginning to his journey on the health of our fisheries around the world. I think Greenberg will become more pessimistic throughout the book in ways, but optimistic that we can fix the problems with our fisheries before it’s too late. Once you can pinpoint the issue at hand, you can begin to make a change.

2 thoughts on “FTT- #1”

1. The next year the Blue River was downgraded to a “Bronze Medal Stream.” I remember seeing fisheries crews floating down the river shocking it for data and seeing countless fish full of gill lice, tons of deformed hatchery rainbows, and every 22″+ fish missing maxillas from fishermen removing hooks roughly. I still don’t know why to this day why exactly the fishery went downhill so quickly outside of high pressure fishing, but it really did strike an interest in me to learn more about our fisheries and fish in general.

In your post, you mentioned that the Blue River downgraded to a ” Bronze Medal Stream.” Could you elaborate for me what made it change to a ” Bronze Stream” ? I am always eager for learning more, and some people like myself don’t really understand what classifies Gold, from Bronze in a stream setting. Could you only catch certain healthy fish? Is that the factor that sets them apart?
    I really enjoyed reading your response!

2. nice post Lauren! although i haven’t been before, i hear from all of my fishing buddies that that place is amazing! I find it interesting that a river like that can loose its rank of gold medal so easily, but regardless, ive noticed a lot of fishermen talking about how their favorite fishing spots have started to loose their touch. i think there is something going on globally, potentially global warming, that is beginning to effect fisheries and i hope one day we take action on it.