FTT (Sep. 1)

As a child Paul grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut with a pond just around the corner from the home he lived in. This pond was a paradise for him, filled with largemouth bass. Tragically in the winter of 1978 a blizzard so cold and inhospitable the fish in the pond could not survive hit the area. After moving Paul got a skiff for fishing in the Long Island Sound, caughting a large variety of fish species making him observe and learn about the fish and their habits. 

I would say my mission for knowledge differs a bit coming from a commercial fishing family. My dad has been a brown crabber all of my life and has always owned boats. As a child I would go with him to the docks to spend time with him but I don’t think I realized what a unique upbringing I had. It wasn’t until I was 16 and itching to buy a car did I work on a boat, I salmon tendered in Cordova AK.  Little did I know it would altered the course of my life. I fell in love with the community, work and people. I felt like the best version of me and knew that was the environment I belonged in. 

Currently only being 14 pages into the book it is hard to see how Paul’s opinions will change and expand. He makes an observation coming back at the time of his mom’s death. Deciding to going out once again on the Sound like he had for so much of his adolescent life he was shocked the fishing was not as abundant and diverse. My prediction as the book progresses is that he will shed light on negative things happening in the fisheries, so more of a pessimistic view. 

3 thoughts on “FTT (Sep. 1)”

1. Hi Madelyn!
    I thought Paul would be more pessimistic in the end as well pretty much for the same reasons too. It’s unfortunate but I could see how it would be a lot easier to be pessimistic.
    That’s so cool you got to grow up around commercial fishing! I’m pretty new to commercial fishing but just like you said the community and people are so kind. Definitely a plus going into this field knowing that the people are generally nice!

2. Madelyn, I love that you became interested in fisheries due to commercial fishing. It seems like there is a growing trend of women getting out there now-a-days. I’ve heard great things about Cordova!

I also agreed that the author will become more pessimistic with time. It’s hard to see something you loved so much get destroyed for an unknown reason. But hopefully following that, he begins to see a little light at the end of the tunnel for helping the fisheries.