Fish Tank Thursday 8-3

Paul Greenberg spent his childhood bouncing around from home to home with his mother and brother in Greenwich, Connecticut. He speaks fondly of one of these homes that had a pond with the biggest largemouth bass he had ever seen. Unfortunately, in the winter of 1978, they died. This lead Greenberg to search out more bountiful hunting grounds which eventually took him to the ocean. There he spent several summers learning where and when fish would arrive based on landmarks and which flora was in bloom. His childhood affair with fishing ended when he turned 18 but he returned to Connecticut in his early thirties to care for his mother. It was by her request that he picked up fishing again however, what he noticed about the current fishing scene was quite different from his childhood memories of Long Island Sound. This led him on quite a different quest, what was happening to the world’s fisheries as he saw the same four fish showcased in fish market after fish market regardless of whether he was in Maine or Florida.

I can relate to Greenberg’s curiosity with my work however, my work is mechanical and not nature based.

At this point in the book I feel like Greenberg would have had quite a pessimistic view about the health of the world’s fisheries because he speaks of the local variety of fish that was sold, he sold as a kid, dwindled down to four.

I think at the end of the book Greenberg may have a more optimistic view as his insight become more wholistic.

4 thoughts on “Fish Tank Thursday 8-3”

1. Hello Amanda,
    I think you did a great job breaking down Paul’s story of what led him on the search for all the fish. Could you imagine what it was like for him to go back to fishing and to see such a dramatic change in the fish population? He was only gone maybe 20 years, and everything changed. The difference seen makes me think about what I know now about salmon runs and how they have changed, and what they will be like in 20 years. He left me with a dismal, at best feeling that the fisheries are in bad shape at the end of the story. I also think that at the end of the book, he will be more optimistic. Great job!

1. Branddon,

No, I don’t think I could imagine what he felt or even you, as you have witnessed how the salmon runs have changed throughout your life. I imagine it would make you feel a deep sadness, like you are losing apart of yourself. The only way I have to identify with it is watching all the growth and development in my small beloved desert towns which, like Greenberg I dubbed as “mine”. It fills me with a profound sadness and concern for the local fragile desert environment.

Amanda

2. I can definitely related to you with your curiosity of the mechanical side as well as moving around. Where I focused my thoughts to learning how the theory of flight, and how fascinating it was to try and understand other view points about flying. It is what led me to work on helicopters for years until I decided to go back to school. I agree with your stand point about him having an optimistic stand point by the end of the book. Greenberg at the end of his introduction seemed like he wanted to make a huge impact in some way.

1. Hey Paul,

I started out working on helicopters as well, specifically hydraulics but I am working on fixed wing now and it is just fascinating. But the hands and body can’t do it forever haha plus I wanted to be outside and in nature. I am super excited too dive into this book.

Amanda