1st FTT

Paul Greenberg, as a boy, was supported by a mother that embraced his love for fishing. Close to his childhood house, he would spend most of his time on the pond fishing. One winter, the temperatures dropped below zero. Fishing was never the same on the pond after the winter and copper sulfate treatment the previous summer. Paul sought out more fishing opportunities in streams, rivers, and into the ocean. Paul was able to get a boat where he learned to fish Long Island Sound. He taught himself how to find fishes and discovered their patterns of migration. As a young man, Paul discovered he needed something more than a fish. He spent years trying to catch the right mate. Fishing the wrong waters, and having a line that kept breaking, he found himself without a catch. He received a call that brought him home. His mother had cancer, and he went home to take care of her. One day she told him he needed to go fishing to give him a break from caretaking. He discovers the fish he once knew was no longer in the abundance or patterns he had found as a boy. When his mother died, he went on a search to find the fish. Paul discovered that four fish had replaced all the markets.

I moved to Alaska to be with family after spending years in the military. Growing up my father was my hunting buddy. We recently had a health scare with him that brought an urgency to all the hunts that we haven’t had yet. This fall we’ve hunted harder and scouted more than in years. We brought the entire family so they could experience a “hunt camp.” When my wife asked me, “what I was going to be when I grew up,” my answer was a wildlife biologist. My hunting buddy taught me to love all wildlife, and I plan to do just that.

I believe Paul will be more optimistic by the end of the book. I hope at least because his views were pretty low. He does have a way of telling a story that makes you want to keep reading.

3 thoughts on “1st FTT”

1. When I was young I used to say that I wanted to study fish when I grew up. The response was “well, you can’t have both”. Same probably goes for wildlife biology 😉

2. I liked your informative breakdown of the first pages of the book. I agree with Paul becoming more optimistic by the end. As Paul got older he seemed to take the blinders off and is now starting become more open-minded and adapting himself to change. I sure hope he continues his pursuit regardless of the challenge or outcome. He had the passion as a child, took a break to live life a little, and then he came back willing to accept the change and start learning from it.

3. Branddon, I feel like I had a similar view growing up. My father introduced me to so much outdoors and taught me such a deep love for what we have. It’s hard to not want to study it and become the driving factor in making it better. I work in veterinary medicine, so i was very driven to do wildlife bio, but fish stole me over once i moved up to Alaska.