Fish Tank Thursday- 01 Sep 20

Paul Greenberg unfortunately experienced what many people experience when it comes to fishing and even hunting/harvesting: the habitat changes, tragedy of the commons happens, species go extinct and others have to adapt to different environments. The hardest part about a situation like this is that some of these factors are out of our control especially when it comes to environmental changes. I would also be inspired by this drastic change and I would say that I am and that’s why I’m taking these classes. To learn more about my environment and how fish and mammals need to adapt will help us in the long run in regard to saving them for our benefit. How can we help these species adapt to environmental changes?

I believe Greenburg would be disappointed in the health status of the world’s fisheries. It is so easy to destroy our food sources and even though I believe we are starting to do a better job at preserving their habitats, we still have a lot to work on. Obtaining more knowledge on this subject would help immensely, especially if everyone knew our history of over harvesting to extinction.

By the end of the book, I predict that Greenberg will be more optimistic especially now that there are more people who care about the health of marine/freshwater life. Greenberg isn’t the only person eager to find more information, and maybe even a solution to these changes. By putting himself out there with the motivation to learn about his own situation is dedication in itself and can open the door to other environmental circumstances.

2 thoughts on “Fish Tank Thursday- 01 Sep 20”

1. I agree about Greenberg being more hopeful now that more people are interested and concerned for the health of our marine/freshwater life. I also agree that the first step to making a difference is education on the subject matter.

2. Hi Andrea,
    While I do believe that more knowledge about the situation with fisheries can help stop the problems that are occurring, I don’t believe that there is enough interest among the general population for anything to be done.

Most people are too involved in their own lives to notice major issues, like global fish stocks, and, of those that are interested, not many can afford obtaining college level education. That being said, Alaskans do tend to be more aware of the fisheries situation due to the reliance on subsistence.

Another issue is that fisheries can often work to supply a form of revenue to the countries where they are located. If a fishery serves as a major source of income for a country then that country is unlikely to cut back on its exploitation of that fishery.

The path to effective change tends to be a long one, even when we know the importance of such changes; this is why I chose a more pessimistic view in my post. I believe that having the information is only the first step; the real battle is convincing others.
    Syrena.